Master antenna television system (MATV)
- SMATV is Single Master Antenna Television (or Satellite Master Antenna Television), The purpose of SMATV is for supplying and controlling the number and type of channels to multiple televisions.
- Not only TV channels but FM channels as well. It provides Reception of DBS TV/FM channels for hotels, motels, dormitories, hospitals and commercial properties with multiple tenants, schools.Using a master antenna system video signals, audio signals, and decoder signals can also be distributed.
- It consists of single outdoor unit or antenna feeding to number of indoor units. The channels accessible are independent of other users.For maintaining a good Signal to noise Ratio at all the indoor units served, a larger antenna is required. Antenna with 2 m-3m diameter.
- A SMATV head-end is used to receive and rebroadcast Satellite TV channels throughout a property from a single satellite feed.
- The system consists of Master Antenna, matching transformer to match the balanced antenna with unbalanced cable and amplifiers. Mostly antenna have impedance around is around 300 ohm. To convert it to 75 ohm matching Transformer Balun is used. For trunk line isolation, a resistive inductive device known as splitter is used. It amplifier output is fed to splitter through coaxial trunk lines.